Support the Protect Life Amendment
In 2018, unelected judges effectively amended the Iowa Constitution by inventing a “fundamental right” to abortion in the Iowa Constitution.
Alarming quotes from the 2018 state supreme court majority:
We “freed ourselves from the private views of the Constitution’s founders.”
The Constitution is interpreted instead by “current prevailing standards that draw their ‘meaning from the evolving standards... that mark the progress of a maturing society".
Iowa’s ruling is more extreme than any U.S. Supreme Court ruling on abortion.
- Almost no existing or future regulation of abortion can survive an Iowa court challenge. Iowa is now positioned to become a destination state for abortion on demand.
- The Iowa Supreme Court might require Iowa taxpayers to pay for abortions.
This state supreme court opinion sets the precedent to make Iowa one of the most pro-abortion states in the nation alongside New York, even if Roe v. Wade is overturned.
The Iowa Protect Life Amendment Language
"To defend the dignity of all human life, and to protect mothers and unborn children from efforts to expand abortion even to the day of birth, we the people of Iowa declare: Nothing in this Constitution shall be construed to recognize, grant, or secure a right to abortion or require the public funding of it.
Polling indicates the Protect Life Amendment will succeed in Iowa:
- 54% of likely voters support the Protect Life Amendment language; only 44% oppose.
- 61% of likely voters oppose Iowa’s unelected judges creating a nearly unlimited right to abortion; only 34% approve.
- 61% of likely voters agree, and 50% strongly agree, “that little girl in her mother’s womb, she’s a baby, and she deserves a birthday."